I just returned from my first trip to the Amherst Hobby Show, also known as the Springfield show which is held every year around the end of January in West Springfield, MA. This was my first time making the trip up there (around 4 hours from home), but since I knew a lot of people who were going to be there I decided to go.
A few comments about the show, it is held over two days and with the amount of show space it takes almost all the time to see everything. The show uses four buildings (two large, two small) to hold all the vendors and layouts for the show. A lot of the vendors there I’ve seen in local train shows but there were a ton more that were different than the normal ones. Overall it was worth it to meet the people I did meet as well as for the show.
I made a couple purchases at the show which lead into my first projects for 2010.
1) Photos – I picked up a couple interesting photos from Bob’s photo, one is of a Watchman’s tower in Lebanon, PA of which I had never seen that view. Also there was a Reading MOW hirail vehicle from the mid 60’s.
2) Motrak Models – I picked up one of Davidson Kits from Motrak Models (http://tinyurl.com/y8r8dnp). Jeff supports the Model Railcast Show and I decided to get one of his buildings, afterwards on the MRCS show site we’ve decided to have a little contest building the kit. I’ve still a little undecided as to what I want to make the structure. I may do it as a Reading Company Yard Office, of which I don’t have any photos but something that may look close enough.
3) Kato SD45 – Found a Reading Kato SD45 at one of the stores and after thinking about it I decided to purchase it. That moves the timeframe of my layout to July 1967 or later, but so be it🙂
4) Dcc – I also picked up two soundtraxx decoders, one for the SD45, one for a Atlas GP7 which I’ve had on the shelf. I also got a NCE decoder for the Lifelike SW1200 engine, which I have an undecorated unit to use as the main switcher for Hershey.
Projects for 2010:
1) Build Davidson Kit – Contest will run until March 1st so this will be my primary kit build right now
2) DCC install for SD45
3) DCC install for GP7
4) DCC install for SW1200
5) Build/Paint SW1200 – I’m looking to bring this one to the RPM meet in Valley Forge at the end of March if I get it far enough along.